Founded by Social Activist & Fulbright Scholar Nomsa Mazwai, #FunkItImWalking is an organisation that aims to make the streets of Soweto safe for a woman to walk on any time of day in any condition. The organisation first presented to the President of the Republic and will now be part of an international discussion.
UNITED WE STAND. From Minneapolis to Johannesburg: Our Shared Fight To End Police Violence will take place on Wednesday, July 8th at 6 pm GMT (2 pm EDT). The forum brings greater awareness to police misconduct rampant in black communities around the world and emphasises the need for broad coordination and black-led coalition-building worldwide.
“The police murders of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Breonna Taylor in Louisville, Collins Khosa in Johannesburg, Tina Ezekwe in Lagos, Adama Traore in Paris, and countless others, are part of a long history of violence against Black people. Police violence is pervasive in Black communities around the world. The mistreatment of and deadly violence against Black people at the hands of the police are not random occurrences nor are they isolated incidents. They are the byproduct of the systematic injustices that we have been subjected to since the first Africans were stolen and forced to build the wealth of the west.” says Ngozi Odita, Forum Organizer, Founder, AfricaNXT
UNITED WE STAND. From Minneapolis to Johannesburg: Our Shared Fight To End Police Violence will feature speakers from Nigeria, South Africa, France and the United States, who will provide global context on the magnitude of this moment. They will also share strategies and tactics on dismantling current systems and structures that threaten black lives. The forum will also host roundtable discussions where attendees guided by community organizers will collaborate and put forth action steps to enable a coordinated community-driven effort to inform policy, institutions, and industry practices.
- Andre M. Perry (US) – Fellow, Metropolitan Policy Program at the Brookings Institution
- Assa Traoré (France) – Activist, 2020 BET International Global Good Award recipient, Founder, “Justice for Adama” movement
- Monifa Bandele (US) – Policy Table Leader, Movement for Black Lives
- Nomsa Mazwai (South Africa) – Social Activist, Fulbright Scholar, Founder, #Funkitimwalking
- Yemi Adamolekun (Nigeria) – Executive Dir., Enough is Enough
- Black Liberation Collective (US)
- Black Lives Matter (Switzerland)
- Brighter Days for Justice (US)
- Cross Rhodes (Trinidad and Tobago)
- Foundation for Human Rights (South Africa)
- International Alert (Nigeria)
- Social Justice (Bermuda)
AfricaNXT exists to create a space both online and offline to celebrate African ingenuity and empower the creatives, entrepreneurs, organisers and all-around remarkable individuals moving Africa forward. Through conversations, installations and immersive programming AfricaNXT encourages collaboration and solutions orientated discussions on how we can co-create a prosperous future for all Africans.