Hair treatments supplement your hair with nutrients and the moisture it needs to stay healthy and strong. If hair growth is your goal, implementing DIY treatments to your hair care routine will bring massive benefits even beyond just hair growth. You’ll find some throughout this article.
DIY treatments are the best because you get to select every ingredient for a specific benefit. It means you get to avoid allergens, fragrances and preservatives that are found in processed products. Not to say you should never use store-bought products. Some are the holy grail, but you can afford to substitute them every now and then.
Here are 3 DIY treatments you’ll need for your hair care and growth
DIY hot oil treatment
If hot oil treatments were food it’d be sushi (or whatever food you associate with luxury) because it is a luxury for hair. More so if you have dry, brittle, frizzy, colour-treated, or split-end prone hair because it deals with all these problems.
Benefits of hot oil treatment:
- Strengthens your hair
- Reduces dryness for the scalp and hair
- Reduced frizz
- Increases blood circulation
What you’ll need:
You will need a few different oils of choice. Be sure to choose plant-based oils.
- Coconut oil
- Jojoba oil
- Argan oil
- Add all oils into one bowl
- Warm the oils by putting the bowl in hot water
Important: The mixture must be warm, not hot. Hot oil can cause severe damage to your scalp. Do not microwave the mixture for longer than 10 seconds. Make sure, also, that you can comfortably put your finger in it for a while before applying.
- Wash your hair and then apply the oil mixture
- Make sure all your strands are fully coated
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on for about an hour. You can leave it for a minimum of 10 minutes if you don’t have time.
- Rinse off the excess oils with cold water
You may follow this up by applying a leave-in conditioner and continue to styling.
DIY hair growth treatment
Fast hair growth depends on a number of things. Your hair care habits, how much you manipulate it, products you use, genetics, your diet… The list goes on. No matter what you do to your hair, growth treatments can help you boost your normal growth. Different treatments will work well depending on the current state of your hair.
For example, if you have colour treated hair, a protein treatment could be the best option for you because it strengthens your hair and reduces breakage.
Here is an avocado mask that will keep your hair moisturised and boost growth.
You will need:
- An avocado
- Coconut oil
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl
- Apply to damp hair and cover with a shower cap
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water
- Follow it up by applying a leave-in conditioner
DIY Dandruff treatment
Dandruff is a common condition for everyone – male and female. There is no permanent remedy or cure for it but there are ways to deal with it.
Washing your hair frequently is one way, eliminating products your scalp may be sensitive to or using remedies. One treatment I love, and you’ve probably come across it a couple of times, is the baking soda treatment. It works wonders.
Baking soda (AKA Bicarbonate of soda) is used as a remedy for a lot of things. Some even use it to brighten their teeth (haven’t tried that one yet). The hype around it has to do with its anti-fungal properties and exfoliant nature. It is able to exfoliate your scalp and remove the flakes.
Here is what you’ll need to make one at home:
- Baking soda
- Mix the water and baking soda to make a paste
- Wash your hair and then apply the mixture to your scalp
- Leave it on for 5 to 15 minutes
- Rinse out with cold water
Important: Baking soda has a drying affect on hair. Immediately after you rinse it off, moisturise your hair.
Well, that’s it from me. I hope this trio can become your staples because they will boost your hair growth.