Over the last two decades, the Red Bull Music Academy has touched down in cities across the globe, including:
- New York
- Cape Town
- São Paulo
The Red Bull Music Academy is taking place in Berlin this year, returning to the city where the Academy began for our 20th anniversary edition. Taking place from September 8th to October 12th, this year’s Academy will be headquartered at the Funkhaus, a historic recording studio complex in East Berlin and one of the largest in the world.
Every Academy is a world of its own, offering new insights and perspectives on sound. This year, 61 up-and-coming musicians from 37 different countries will come together in the German capital to hear lectures from artists who have shaped music history, exchange knowledge in all-night studio sessions, and collaborate with their peers from around the globe. At the same time, Red Bull Music programs a month-long festival of public concerts and club nights across the city.
Highlights from this year’s wide-ranging Red Bull Music Festival Berlin include:
- Bespoke shows from electronic iconoclasts Oneohtrix Point Never and Jlin on 4DSOUND’s giant spatial system
- A mega-showcase by African dance music stars from across the continent
- Public lectures with G.O.O.D. Music boss and rap icon Pusha T and Wondaland Records head and R&B android Janelle Monáe
- A new experimental show from avant-pop artist Sevdaliza
- A collaborative performance from Detroit techno master Jeff Mills and Afrobeat legend Tony Allen
- As well as a special European edition of the celebrated Red Bull Music events Culture Clash, United States of Bass and Drone Activity In Progress
Find the complete program at berlin.redbullmusicacademy.com.
The Academy’s editorial platforms will also be firing on all cylinders over five weeks. Every day:
- Thoughtfully researched articles and in-depth interviews
- Original short films
- Special digital projects
- Event livestreams and more will deliver insider access to what’s going on inside the Academy
- Create context around nightly events and uncover essential stories from Berlin’s past, present and future.
Broadcasting live from a custom-built studio in the heart of the iconic Funkhaus complex, Red Bull Radio will bring some of its most popular shows to Berlin, celebrating RBMA’s 20th anniversary with a month-long program of in-depth interviews, special guests, and unique stories that shaped the city’s music culture past and present, while also capturing the best moments from Red Bull Music Festival Berlin.